Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
In This Post
HOW TO ROCK A MYSTERY HOST PARTY
How to Promote a Mystery Host Party
How to Add in a Theme
How to Choose the Winner
WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PARTY
NOTE: This post is part 2 of our series on Mystery Host parties. You can check out part 1 here – How to Get Started with Mystery Host Parties
As with any party, you need to come up with a plan and prepare for it before the big day, right? You send out invitations and go to the party supply store, grab what you need, go home and start decorating, bake a cake, etc. Well, the same thing goes for throwing amazing Mystery Host Parties! You need a plan to execute and guess what? Planning is my thang!
How to rock a mystery host party
So here we go, y’all! A step by step guide to becoming a pro at Mystery Host Parties. Right off the bat, I’m gonna give you my biggest, best secret for rockin’ a Mystery Host party! I promise it will be worth the price of admission. Are you ready for it?
Yep, you read that right. So now you might be a little confused because technically there is no host before the party starts, right? Uhm, wrong. The host before the party is you! So, guess who you get to coach to have a great party? That’s right. You’ve gotta coach yourself to be the best host you’ve ever had!
Just for one second, I want you to picture your ideal party host. What does she do before the party? During the party? After the party? I can tell you what mine did…
- She chatted with me before the party to walk through all the details.
- She made a list of the people she would like to invite and then personally reached out to them to make sure they felt special. She didn’t just randomly invite a bunch of people on Facebook and call it a day. Ahem…
- She also participated in the party. I mean this girl was a ROCKSTAR – commenting, interacting, and making the party experience amazing for her guests!
- After the party she did some follow-up with those people that couldn’t make it at the last minute.
Humor me, because I’m going to get preachy for one hot second. Host coaching is critical to your long-term success in direct sales and that goes for every party, every host, even Mystery Hosts. You can’t actually coach the host when you don’t know who she is, so you must step into that role and coach yo’self. You be the best host that you can be. You do everything you tell yourself to do, because the success of this party lands squarely on your shoulders. #nopressure
Now before you check out and run away screaming, don’t let that scare you! The good news is that you already know what you should do and the great news is that you have the ability to do it! Okay I’m off the soapbox…moving on.
How to Promote a Mystery Host Party
Now that we understand the importance of host coaching ourselves, let’s walk through some ideas on how to promote your party, K? It’s pretty basic, y’all. How does your hostess promote her party? Here are a few ideas:
- Personal reach out via text, messenger or the dreaded phone – I’m listing this one first because it’s going to give you the best bang for your buck. The ratio of RSVP’s you get from personal contact vs. the number of contacts you make will be much higher using this method. Don’t be afraid of it, and don’t avoid it. Direct sales is a relationship building business. So let’s build ’em, shall we?
- Newsletter – if you have a regular newsletter that you create and send to your customers, include the info on the event. If it’s online, make sure you include a direct link for them to RSVP. If it’s in home, give them a way to contact you for the location and details. This method might take more than one time to get some traction, so make sure you plan your content in advance to get the best results.
- Facebook or Instagram stories – this is a fun, new(ish) way to show some personality and snag some RSVPs! Take a fun selfie of you with a magnifying glass or other detective gear and let your followers know the details!
- Facebook post – This is the easiest way to promote your party but also the most frustrating. I’ve seen this happen way too often. You throw a post out there hoping for the crowds to come flocking, and it just doesn’t happen. Facebook is a fickle beast and you don’t get to control who sees your post or when they see it. If it doesn’t get almost immediate engagement, you can forget about anyone seeing it later. Putting a post out there on your personal profile should be your last attempt and should really serve more as a reminder and last-minute round up for the stragglers. This should not be your main strategy.
When you’re thinking about promoting your event, the best method is a layered approach. Use some or all of these ideas to promote the party. We’re all different and so are your customers so promoting multiple times in multiple ways is key!
How to Add in a Theme
I don’t know about you, but I love reading mysteries, playing clue finding games, and solving riddles. Why not incorporate that into your regular parties?
Here’s what I mean. Think for a second about the product that you sell. I’m going to run with kitchen products since that was my jam. What problems do the right kitchen products solve? Quick and easy meal prep. Getting dinner on the table in less time. You with me?
What mystery could I create around that problem? How about Cracking the Code on Dinner Time Drama? Or what about Solving the Mystery of Thanksgiving Dinner?
A great theme is also an amazing booking tool for future business! Once you rock your own Mystery Host party, why not offer to let the mystery continue? Invite guests to host their own mystery-themed party with a fun product twist!
Here are some ideas to get you thinking:
- The Riddle of the Reluctant Reader
- The Mystery of the Missing Christmas Cards
- Cracking the Code on Spring Cleaning
- The Conundrum of Mother’s Day Gifting
Seriously, throwing in a theme will give you tremendous success! Not only will it provide your guests with a super entertaining party, but you’ll also have a blast which will show them how much fun it is to do it all over again when they book with you!
How to Choose the Winner
Everybody wants to be a winner, right? That’s one of the big draws of a mystery host party. You want to win all the goodies without actually having to host a party! So how do you choose the winner?
Most people give guests entries for doing things during the party like RSVPing, bringing a friend, ordering, booking their own party, etc. You can choose to give all the host rewards to one person or divide it up among multiple winners. Here’s the rule I always followed. It works just like children. Ready for it?
Reward the behavior that you want repeated! Choosing the winner should involve incentivizing the things that you want to happen. Let’s walk through an example:
Let’s pretend that you’ve been slacking a bit and not doing your follow-up and your calendar is looking a wee bit too white. Anyone ever been there? So, your plan is to strategically use a Mystery Host Party to introduce some new products and also get some new shows on the books.
Before you decide how you’re going to give away the goods, think through what results you want to have from the event. In this case, it’s bookings! So the entries to win the host rewards would need to be heavily weighted toward getting bookings! They might look something like this:
- 1 entry for RSVPing (we need them to show up!)
- 5 entries for bringing a friend (more people that you don’t know to expand your warm market)
- 5 entries for every $X ordered (we need orders to have host rewards)
- 10 entries for scheduling your own party (big entries for this one because this is what you want to happen)
I know what you might be thinking – WAIT! If I give away the host rewards, will people actually book a party to get more host rewards. Yep! They sure will! When you throw an amazing party and build desire for a product, host special, or theme that you’re offering people will book their own party!
What to do after the Party
Let’s talk after-party! What happens after the mystery is solved? You be the hostess with the mostest one more time. This is where you finish strong and wrap it all up with a pretty little bow on top! Ready?
- Follow-up – Who couldn’t make it at the last minute? Follow-up to see if they would still like to order! Trust me. I love these reminders because stuff falls off my radar and if I RSVP’d I really was interested in ordering but might have forgotten about the actual party. Anyone else ever had this happen?
- Help your winner(s) pick out her goodies – Make sure you’ve communicated with your winner(s) and given her a deadline to choose her host rewards.
- Thank You’s – Y’all do not miss this one! At least send a thank you message, email. or text. Let guests know when they can expect their order. Offer them the opportunity to host their own parties with that fun new theme that you just brainstormed in the last post.
Want even more help putting together your mystery host party? I’ve got the graphics covered for ya! Check out our complete Mystery Host Themed Facebook Party graphics! It includes everything from banners to party games. Your posts will be planned and in your hand faster than you can say “mystery solved!”